What’s Advergames? It’s advertising combined with video games. Instead of advertising companies
have started to created games on their website to increase consumers traffic on
the companies website. Since most people don’t watch commercials because TiVo
allows us to skip them, companies need to get their name out, but how? This is
why Advergames have become so popular. This isn’t a new concept, in fact,
Advergames have been around since the early 1980s but the name was not coined until
2001. This form of advertising helps brands drive home their name to their
audience. When people play an Advergame, the company gets their name out there
because the player constantly stares at their name. I remember playing theses Advergames
on the Disney channel site when I was younger, little did I know that I would
be learning about it later.
I remember that I would constantly
go on the Disney channel website and play “Sandwich Stackers”, from Lilo and
Stitch along with “Eddies Shot Clock Showdown”, from That’s so Raven. I would
spend HOURS on the computer trying to reach the highest level. Of course when
you go to the Disney website, you first have to go to their home page. That’s where
they give you the lowdown of what’s happening on the Disney channel. After that
you can go play your games. So I’d say that Advergames works because it gets
you looking at their product not just the game. I know that I would easily get
sidetracked and look around on the website, totally forgetting that I went
there to play “Sandwich Stackers” or “Eddies Shot Clock Showdown”. Along with that it would reinforces me to want
to watch the Disney channel.
That’s only one type of Advergaming; did you
know there are three types of it? Howstuffworks.com
went into detail about the different types. First one is like how I
would go to the Disney website, it would make me want to watch their shows more
since they’re advertising their brand while I was playing their games. The
second one is a video game developed for a primary purpose. The example they
used was a game called “America’s Army” that the United States Army sponsored
to increase recruitment. Finally, the third one, and the one you are probably
most familiar with is called product placement; subtly placing products in the
audiences view. An example of product placement in Advergaming is if you “see a
Ford Mustang cruising the game’s virtual streets.” As you can see Advergaming
is not just for children on the Disney channel or adults easily persuaded into
joining the army, it can be used to influence all age groups.
I think a lot of companies can and
will use Advergames; an already huge company like Chipotle has their own
Advergame. People want to be entertained so this
is the best way to advertise while entertaining. Advergames will continue to
exist and grow even larger than they are now. I believe soon every company will
make an Advergame. This is the next logical step in marketing due to the
decline of consumers watching commercials. The advertising industry must start
changing in order to get their message across, and this was a big step towards
getting the brand out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment